Schindler's How House
LOS ANGELES, California
- type of listing
- style of listing
- year built
- living area
4 bed/2.1 bath
Rare chance to have the opportunity to own R.M. Schindler's 1925 masterpiece, James Eads How House, fully restored and updated for 21st Century. Artistic palette of redwood, concrete and glass must be experienced to be understood. 4 bedrooms + 2.5 baths. 2nd story consists of breathtaking living room with large terrace, Dr. How's office fully restored, dining room with fireplace, and beautiful eat-in kitchen with deck to Richard Neutra designed garden.
WHAT MAKES THIS A BUNGALUX
Architecturally important home in Silverlake
- • History Lesson: The house's architect, R.M. Schindler (Rudolph Michael Schindler) was an American architect whose most important works were built in or near Los Angeles during the early to mid-twentieth century.
- • Schindler's inventive use of complex three-dimensional forms, warm materials, and striking colors, as well as his ability to work successfully within tight budgets, have placed him as one of the true mavericks of early twentieth century architecture.
- • Schindler worked with Frank Lloyd Wright on the Barnsdall House and the Hollyhock House.
- • Schindler's most famous house is the Kings Road House (aka the Schindler-Chase house) in West Hollywood.
- • The James Eads How House was restored in 2004 by architect/contractor Jeff Fink, who has restored a number of L.A. Schindler designs. A Richard Neutra-designed garden was uncovered during the 2004 renovation.
- • The home is a registered Historic-Cultural Monument.
For more information contact...
Inquire , Bungalux