Mickey Muenning-Designed Retreat
BIG SUR, California
- type of listing
- style of listing
- year built
- living area
3 bed/3.0 bath
Walk to spectacular Pfeiffer Beach, or watch the sunset from just above it at this lovely 3 bdrm, 3 bath multi-level home with completely hidden guesthouse. Architect Mickey Meunnig, perhaps most well known for having designed The Post Ranch Inn, created this home to flow effortlessly from a massive granite outcropping onto a perfectly situated promenade in what feels like the very heart of Big Sur. Mature, lush, rambling gardens encourage barefoot wandering on the grass paths of the extensive terracing where one might come across the raised vegetable beds, the orchard, or the baci ball court. Indoor / outdoor living comes naturally amidst this setting. No expense was spared on the property’s muscled infrastructure which makes the home’s exquisite wood, glass, and stone work seem like frosting on the cake. A well on the property supplies pure Big Sur water in abundance. Radiant heated concrete floors and a gorgeous centrally located stone hearth fireplace create an extraordinarily comfortable Big Sur living space. PRICE REDUCED $220,000
Views, orchard, baci ball court, fireplaces, yard.
WHAT MAKES THIS A BUNGALUX
Big Sur retreat by Pfeiffer Beach
- • A History Lesson on designer Mickey Muenning:
- • For 40 years Mickey Muennig has created architectural masterpieces in Big Sur. The 90-mile stretch of pristine California coastline known as Big Sur is home to a diverse population of rare and endangered plants and animals. Big Sur is also one of the few places in the US that hasn’t experienced the effects of industrialization.
- • Mickey Muennig's homes often become part of the steep cliff sides, partially hidden underground with blossoming green roofs disguising their interior luxury. Muennig enjoys using intriguing shapes and innovative materials. His creations feature spirals, domes, and eclectic furnishings formed out of stone, sod, local redwoods, and reclaimed supplies.
- • While the year-round climate in Big Sur is nearly perfect, the region is prone to excessively high winds and frequent fires. Muennig’s thick sod roofs and underground designs protect his homes from both, while also decreasing the need for energy consumption by keeping a constant comfortable temperature.
- • The Big Sur Architect has designed and created more than 30 structures along the California coast, including year-round homes, vacation residences, art galleries, and music studios. The Post Ranch Inn is the most famous of Muennig's designs.
LOCATIONBig Sur, California 93920
For more information contact...
AGENT / FIRM
Mike Gilson, Coldwell Banker